Allan Porter Memorial Award
Friends of Ostomates Worldwide Canada, or FOWC, presents an award each year to individuals or organizations whose volunteerism has helped to further the goal of FOWC: to assist those less fortunate in other countries by supplying ostomy products and information.
All products supplied are donated. All sorting, matching and repacking of material for shipment overseas is done by volunteers. Although FOW Canada first began collecting and shipping supplies in the early 1980’s, it was 1989 when the first award was presented. It was called the President’s Award and presented by the president of FOW Canada.
The first recipient of the Award was the Hamilton and District Ostomy Association, which had made available its offices as a collection point for excess ostomy supplies. The award was presented to Allan Porter, President of the Hamilton Chapter, by FOW Canada president Maria Siegl. Subsequently the award was renamed the Allan Porter Award, and in 1995 after Al’s death, at the suggestion of Ron Bartlett, the Award was named the Allan Porter Memorial Award.
Award recipients are:
- 2016 – Calgary Ostomy Society, Calgary, AB
- 2014 – CB Medical, Calgary, AB
- 2012 – Dave Page*, Winnipeg, MB
- 2010 – United Ostomy Support Group, Ottawa Inc.
- 2009 – Sally Poon, Market Drugs Medical, Edmonton, AB
- 2008 – Dianne and Jim Garde & Starkman Surgical Supply Ltd, Toronto, ON
- 2007 – Winnipeg Ostomy Association, Winnipeg, MB
- 2006 – Conval-Aid, Ottawa, ON
- 2005 – Ostomy Toronto, Toronto, ON
- 2004 – Astrid Graham*, Ottawa, ON
- 2003 – Vancouver Ostomy Chapter, Vancouver, BC
- 2002 – Patrick Lapointe, Montreal, PQ
- 2001 – Lorne Aronson, Toronto, ON
- 2000 – Nicole Lapointe, Montreal, PQ
- 1999 – David Metcalfe*, Victoria, BC
- 1998 – Michael Durey, Aurora, ON
- 1997 – Richard Olley, Oakville, ON
- 1996 – Ronald Bartlett*, Hamilton, ON
- 1995 – Dielwen (Di) Bracken, Toronto, ON
- 1994 – Mark Siegel, Toronto, ON
- 1993 – Norma Stringer*, Bancroft, ON
- 1992 – Les Kehoe, Toronto, ON and Jean-Pierre Lapointe, Montréal, PQ
- 1991 – Claude Campbell*, Hamilton, ON
- 1990 – Bette Yetman*, Dartmouth, NS
- 1989 – Hamilton and District Ostomy Association, ON